What makes a gut-friendly recipe?
Have you ever wondered what makes a recipe good for your gut? It's more than just tasty bites – it's like a special menu that your stomach loves. A gut-friendly recipe is full of simple, natural foods that your body cheers for. Think colourful, unprocessed goodness that keeps your digestion happy. It's like creating a delicious harmony with ingredients that your tummy high-fives.
Discovering the key to a healthier gut goes beyond enjoying tasty food. Our one-pot lentil curry is not just a flavourful experience but also promotes a balanced gut microbiome. It's tasty, rich in prebiotics and probiotics, and super easy to make! It is a great way to use up any vegetables that would have gone to waste. You can adapt the recipe to your liking. I used mild curry powder because my daughter doesn't like spicy food.
One pot lentil curry
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 35 - 40 mins
- Servings: 4
1 cup dried lentils (red), rinsed and drained
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons mild curry powder
1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional, for extra flavour)
Salt and pepper to taste
Greek Yoghurt (for garnish)
Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish, optional)
Cooked rice or flatbread (for serving)
What makes these ingredients good for gut HEALTH?
Lentils: High in fibre and a great source of nutrients that support the growth of healthy bacteria and regular bowel movements. They can also help improve the health of your overall gut.
Carrots: Rich in fibre, particularly soluble fibre like pectin, which can help support a healthy digestive system. Additionally, carrots contain antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that can support overall health, including digestive health.
Onions: contain prebiotics, which can boost the health of your digestive system and promote a healthier balance among your bacterial population.
Garlic: known to be beneficial for your gut health as it contains inulin, which is a type of non-digestible carbohydrate that helps feed the good bacteria in your body. This is why it can help improve the health of your digestive system.
Greek Yoghurt: being a fermented food, it naturally contains abundant probiotic cultures that contribute to the well-being of the digestive tract. Certain types of Greek yoghurt go a step further by incorporating extra probiotics such as Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus casei, potentially enhancing the population of beneficial bacteria in your gut.
- Rinse the lentils under cold water and set aside.
- Peel and dice the carrots.
- Mince the garlic and finely chop the onion.
- If using cumin seeds, measure them out.
- In a large pot or a Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over a medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until softened about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and optional cumin seeds and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
Add Curry Powder:
- Stir in the mild curry powder, coating the onions and garlic evenly and cook for 1-2 minutes to toast the spices.
Add Lentils and Vegetables:
- Add the rinsed lentils and diced carrots to the pot, stirring to combine with the spices.
Pour in Coconut Milk:
- Pour in the entire can of coconut milk. Use a spoon to mix everything together thoroughly.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender and the carrots are cooked through.
- Season the lentil curry with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Once the lentils are cooked to your liking, remove the pot from the heat. If the curry is too thick, add in a bit of water to reach your desired consistency.
Garnish and Serve:
- Serve the one-pot lentil curry over cooked rice or with naan bread. Garnish with Greek yoghurt and chopped cilantro if desired.
In the journey towards a healthier gut, our One-Pot Lentil Curry is like a superhero for your health! It brings together two important things – prebiotics and probiotics, to make your gut happy. We've explored the wonders of gut-friendly ingredients from fibre-rich lentils to the digestive support of carrots, onions, and garlic.
As we wrap up this culinary adventure, here's a little secret to boost your gut health even further. Not every meal aligns perfectly with gut-friendly choices, so we recommend complementing your routine with our Probiotic & Prebiotic complex.
It's a convenient solution for maintaining the harmony in your gut microbiome. Our specially formulated blend features Lactobacillus Acidophilus, delivering a potent 5 billion CFU, coupled with Inulin (FOS) to support both your Digestive and Immune Systems.
So, let your gut revel in the joy of good food and a digestive support supplement – because a happy gut is a happy you!